Create a Custom Quiz
Quaver teachers can create a custom quiz to add to any assignment or lesson.
Note: The examples used below are from QuaverMusic, but the same functionality is available in QuaverSEL and QuaverMIC curriculum resources as well.
Distance Teaching Tip: These screens are also excellent ways to make an assignment “submittable.” Adding even the most simple one-question quiz to the end of an assignment can make it possible to see if students have accessed the assignment and completed it.
Read on to learn more about this flexible tool!
Step One: Open a Quiz Builder Screen Screen
You can begin the process on the Resource Creation menu in one of three places:
- Open Resource Creation directly from your Teacher Dashboard.
- Open Resource Manager, select a folder, and click MENU then NEW SCREEN.
- If you are in the process of editing a lesson or assignment, click MENU then NEW SCREEN.
Next, Select Quiz Builder from the Resource Creation menu to bring up your editing window.
Step Two: Title Your Screen
- Give your screen a title by clicking in the title text box labeled “Type Your Screen Title Here” and typing your desired title.
- Click Enter to close the editing box.
Step Three: Create Your Quiz
The Quiz Builder is divided into two sections. To the left you’ll find the Quaver Quiz Bank. This bank holds more than 2,500 assessment questions from throughout Quaver’s curriculum resources. These are easy to filter, search, and use right away. You can also auto-build a quiz here based on any grade level or keyword. Another great time-saving tool!
To the right, you’ll find your quiz customization tools. Here, you can either create a question from scratch or edit a question from the quiz bank.
To search the Quiz Bank for pre-made questions and add them to your quiz:
- Click SEARCH QUIZ BANK to see ALL the questions in the question bank
- Enter any keyword in the ADD KEYWORD field at the top of the Quiz Bank
- Press ENTER or click ADD. Pressing enter will run the search automatically. ADD will add it to your search criteria and wait to search until you click SEARCH QUIZ BANK!
- Time-Saving Tip: We know that as teachers, your time is valuable! You can narrow your search and filter by grade. Simply click the grade from the dropdown and click SEARCH QUIZ BANK.
- Once your search results roll in, you can click any question to preview it. The correct answer will be checked. You’ll also notice icons for questions that have audio or graphics inside.
- When you’re ready to add it to your quiz, just drag and drop.
To auto-build a quiz:
- For even more speedy quiz making, try our automation option!
- Click AUTO-BUILD to randomly generate questions from the search criteria you already selected.
- Using auto-build, you can generate anywhere from 1-30 questions.
- Click the blue + or – icons to add or subtract from the amount of questions you’d like your quiz to include.
- Auto-build is most useful when broadly assessing a concept.
Step Four: Customize Your Quiz
The Quiz Builder also features many customization options to better suit your needs.
To easily rearrange question order:
- Click and hold the title of the question and drag.
- Drop the question to deposit in its new home!
To add your own questions from scratch:
- Simply click the gray +ADD NEW button at the bottom of the Quiz Builder, add text, two answers, and you’re ready to go!
These are all great ways to make the Quaver questions work for you. And don’t worry, you aren’t making any permanent changes to the Quaver Question Bank. This only adjusts the copy of the question in your quiz. You can find the original again anytime using those handy search features.
You may also wish to Add Notes to the screen for your lesson or assignment. Click Add/Edit Notes in the bottom left corner of the screen to do so. These Notes will be saved with this instance of your screen in Resource Manager.
Step Five: Save, Print and Launch
- Click SAVE when you’re ready to save your screen.
- If you’d like to print your custom quiz, click MENU and PRINT QUIZ.
- To view your screen, head to your My Custom Screens folder in Resource Manager. This screen will remain in this folder in Resource Manager, ready to be added to an assignment or lesson at any time.
- To see the screen in action, select the screen and click LAUNCH.
- The screen that will appear in your lesson or assignment will launch to give you a preview of what you and your students will see.
- Students will click start to begin the quiz.
- Click the blue questions that say “NEXT QUESTION” or “PREV QUESTION” to paginate through the quiz.
- Click the GO TO button to skip to a particular question in the quiz by entering the number of the question it is.
- If you have chosen to make this a submittable/gradable assignment, students will have the option to submit it back to you once they’ve finished the last question on the quiz.
- Their submission will appear in your GradeBook with an orange checkmark to indicate that they have submitted it.
- Curious about Teacher Guided Mode? Learn more.
Ready to learn more about Resource Creation screens? Check out our Training Video for an Introduction to Resource Creation!