How to Use SongBrush
SongBrush is a QuaverMusic Creative that allows you to draw on the staff with a variety of colors that represent instruments.
Read on to learn more about this engaging activity!
Step One: Open SongBrush
- Select the Creatives menu from the Teacher or Student Dashboard.
- Select SongBrush and launch the application.
Step Two: Create Your Composition
- If you’d like to open a saved creation, click MENU and OPEN.
- Simply select one of the seven instruments at the bottom of the screen and use your cursor to draw on the staff.
- Click the yellow arrow on each instrument to bring up more instrument options from that instrument family.
- Click the volume icon to turn mute or unmute that instrument.
- Click the headphones icon to mute all other instruments
- You can adjust the tempo settings by clicking Andante and making your selection from the tempo settings menu.
- Use the yellow buttons to Repeat or Play your piece.
- If you need to Erase, Undo, Clear, or View the grid option, use the settings to the right of the Repeat and Play buttons.
Step Three: Save Your Creation and Download It
- Click MENU in the top right corner of the screen and click SAVE to save your creation. You will be asked to give your creation a title.
- After saving your creation, you can make an MP3 to download it. Click MAKE MP3 from the menu and then DOWNLOAD the mp3 when it’s ready.
- If you would like to open a past creation, at any point, click MENU and OPEN.
How to Assign SongBrush to Your Students for Submission
To begin, create a folder where your assignment will live.
- With no folder selected, click MENU, NEW FOLDER, and give it a title.
- Name your folder something like “SongBrush Assignment” and click OK.
Your folder will now appear on the right side of your Resource Manager.
- Search for SongBrush in Resource Manager.
- Drag the resource into your folder on the right side of the screen.
- Select the folder and hit MENU and NEW ASSIGNMENT TEMPLATE.
- Name your assignment, “SongBrush.”
- Open the folder and you’ll see your named Assignment with a green “A” next to it.
- Double click on the assignment to open it.
- You’ll notice a purple “dot” to fill in next to the activity.
- Click the dot to fill it in. This what allows students to submit the assignment to show up in your GradeBook.
- Click MENU and ASSIGN TO CLASS to choose a class or classes you would like to give the assignment to.
- When students launch the assignment, they will be able to create their composition and a SUBMIT option will appear on the MENU when they are done and ready to submit.
- Students should SAVE their submission if they wish to access it at a later time.
- Completed Creations will show up in your GradeBook next to the student’s name with an orange checkmark.
- Click the checkmark to review their work.