How to Use QStrum
QStrum allows you to create guitar, ukulele, or bass chord progressions by selecting chords and rhythm patterns.
Read on to learn more about this engaging activity!
Step One: Open QStrum
- Select the Creatives menu from the Teacher or Student Dashboard.
- Select QStrum and launch the application.
Step Two: Create Your Composition
- If you’d like to open a saved creation, click MENU and OPEN.
- To change the instrument for your piece, select and click the instrument tile on the left and choose between specific guitar, ukulele, or bass options.
- Choose a strum pattern tile and drag it to the staff or add individual strum durations.
- To adjust the chords, simply click one of the chord options before dragging your strum pattern or strum duration tiles into place.
- You can adjust the tempo settings by clicking Moderato and making your selection.
- Add additional measures by clicking the yellow arrows on the bottom right.
- Adjust the master volume using the slider at the bottom of the screen.
- Use the yellow buttons in the bottom left to either repeat, rewind, or playback your piece. A demo animation will appear on the screen, playing the piece you’ve created.
- You can also toggle the mirror view on in order to see a mirrored version of the playback.
Step Three: Save Your Creation and Download It
- Click MENU in the top right corner of the screen and click SAVE to save your creation. You will be asked to give your creation a title.
- After saving your creation, you can make an mp3 to download it. Click MAKE MP3 from the menu and then DOWNLOAD the mp3 when it’s ready.
- If you would like to open a past creation, at any point, click MENU and OPEN.
How to Assign QStrum to Your Students for Submission
To begin, create a folder where your assignment will live.
- With no folder selected, click MENU, NEW FOLDER, and give it a title.
- Name your folder something like “QStrum Assignment” and click OK.
Your folder will now appear on the right side of your Resource Manager.
- Search for QStrum in Resource Manager.
- Drag the resource into your folder on the right side of the screen.
- Select the folder and hit MENU and NEW ASSIGNMENT TEMPLATE.
- Name your assignment, “QStrum.”
- Open the folder and you’ll see your named Assignment with a green “A” next to it.
- Double click on the assignment to open it.
- You’ll notice a purple “dot” to fill in next to the activity.
- Click the dot to fill it in. This what allows students to submit the assignment to show up in your GradeBook.
- Click MENU and ASSIGN TO CLASS to choose a class or classes you would like to give the assignment to.
- When students launch the assignment, they will be able to create their composition and a SUBMIT option will appear on the MENU when they are done and ready to submit.
- Students should SAVE their submission if they wish to access it at a later time.
- Completed Creations will show up in your GradeBook next to the student’s name with an orange checkmark.
- Click the checkmark to review their work.