Create a Custom Rubric
Quaver teachers can create a custom interactive rubric to add to any lesson or assignment. These rubrics can be applied to an assignment for grading or used to give students guidelines for an assignment or project.
Note: The examples used below are from QuaverMusic, but the same functionality is available in QuaverSEL and QuaverMIC curriculum resources as well.
Read on to learn more about this flexible tool!
Step One: Open a Rubric Builder Screen
You can begin the process on the Resource Creation menu in one of three places:
- Open Resource Creation directly from your Teacher Dashboard.
- Open Resource Manager, select a folder, and click MENU then NEW SCREEN.
- If you are in the process of editing a lesson or assignment, click MENU then NEW SCREEN.
Next, Select Rubric Builder from the Resource Creation menu to bring up your editing window.
Step Two: Title and Create Your Rubric
- Give your screen a title by clicking in the title text box labeled “Type Your Screen Title Here” and typing your desired title.
- Click Enter to close the editing box.
- If you would like to edit a previously created rubric, click the blue LOAD TEMPLATE button.
- Simply click any cell to edit the criteria and create your custom rubric! The left column of orange boxes represents the scoring criteria. The top row represents the scoring scale.
- When editing a cell, you can even add “expanded text” that will appear when you click the orange box on the rubric or adjust the points value.
- The grey boxes in the center of the rubric allow you to elaborate on that criteria. Click to edit the display text and expanded text.
You may also wish to Add Notes to the screen for your lesson or assignment. Click Add/Edit Notes in the bottom left corner of the screen to do so. These Notes will be saved with this instance of your screen in Resource Manager.
Step Three: Save, Print, and Launch
- Click SAVE when you’re ready to save your screen.
- If you’d like to print your custom rubric, click MENU and PRINT RUBRIC.
- To view your screen, head to your My Custom Screens folder in Resource Manager. This screen will remain in this folder in Resource Manager, ready to be added to an assignment or lesson at any time.
- To see the screen in action, select the screen and click LAUNCH.
- The screen that will appear in your lesson or assignment will launch to give you a preview of what you and your students will see.
Students will be able to view the rubric for a select assignment or project and learn more about the criteria by clicking each box that has been customized. Use the colored highlighters to highlight a box. Click MENU and PRINT RUBRIC to print the rubric.
Add a Grading Rubric to an Assignment
Quaver teachers can build a grading rubric for each assignment on the Assignment Details window before distributing the assignment to students.